“The mother art is architecture. Without an architecture of our own we have no soul of our own civilization.” Frank Lloyd Wright
With over hundreds of houses in dozens of cities, there is one constant that ties every Modern Home Tour together – the homes and other buildings we feature are truly works of art. Architects, designers, and homeowners pour their hearts and souls into every inch of a special home, and this soul permeates the space even once the building process is over.Here are some of our favorite personal expressions from our 2013 Tours.
1) A wide open, geometrical space was what called to the homeowners of this Santa Fe home. The carefully chosen artwork in soft pastels reflects the orderly, calm nature of desert contemporary living.
2) While up the road in Taos, this Earthship is every inch reflective of a totally different way of living.
3) The woods of the Pacific Northwest are justifiably famous, and this Portland home featured custom woodwork built by the homeowner himself in every room. Blending a midcentury aesthetic with regional craftsmanship, each piece is one-of-a-kind.
4) Austin, where the spirit of the 60s and modern high-tech live in harmony.
5) World renowned sculptor Kevin Box (outsidetheboxstudio.com) had this home custom built to his specifications on one of the most unique plots of land in all of New Mexico. Mixing red rock canyons with an astounding sculpture garden, Box and his wife and work partner Jennifer, live in a setting that i best described as a living gallery.
If you like what you see, look out for a special announcement from us regarding an amazing partnership of art and architecture later this fall!